Sunday, July 29, 2007


A new Logo for the Acupuncture Center of Northern Virginia


I've been busily preparing an e-newsletter which will debut in August. A dear friend of mine suggested that I have a logo for the newsletter and I decided to use the bagua pictured here.

I'm sure you all recognize the yin and yang symbols in the middle which depict that balance and co-dependence of opposites. The yin is the dark comma and symbolizes the nurturing supportive part of line and the lighter yang side symbolizes action and movement.

The lines surrounding the yin yang or wuji symbol are known as the bagua. The broken lines represent yin and the unbroken lines represent yang. The bagua dates back to the "I Ching" or the Book of Changes. Each grouping of three lines represents an element, a season and an acupuncture meridian. The symbol of summer is fire and is represented by the two unbroken lines on either side of the broken line to the left of the wuji symbol and directly in the middle.
The bagua has had great significance during each of the major Chinese dynasties and certain aspects of the bagua have changed with each dynasty which adds to its complexity. Doubling each of the groupings of three so that six lines are drawn represents the twelve acupuncture meridians that run through the body. As each of those six lines represent specific points and have specific meaning in the balancing process for acupuncture, I hope you can appreciate why I chose this symbol to represent my acupuncture practice. I use it everyday to determine what points I'm going to use to help someone become balanced. Afterall, balance means wellness.

No comments:

Apture

Follow my blog