Thursday, October 26, 2006

Stress Rehearsal

This time of year is considered a time of transition according to traditional Chinese medicine. Summer, being the most yang time of the year, is slowly turning and entering into the yin cycle of fall and winter. The fire element of summer will slowly give way to the metal element of autumn. Most of us have taken our vacation and have enjoyed the relaxed lazy days of summer when it was too hot to do anything but stay inside. With the cooler days, comes a renewed sense of purpose. Unfortunately, this renewed sense of purpose for many of us translates into additional stress to get things done. As I believe that stress is a huge contributor to illness, I offer the following self-evaluation so that you can determine where you are on the stress continuum.

I obtained this little test from a newsletter to which I subscribe from the Heart Math Institute. The Heart Math Institute has done significant research into how our emotions and mental state of well being plays a significantly larger role on impacting our health than otherwise subscribed to by conventional medicine. They do fascinating work and you may want to visit their website which is easily found by searching under “HeartMath Institute.

Low Stress Levels:

I feel well
I am able to relax
Physical recreation brings me pleasure
Increasing pressure enhances my performance
My thinking is clear and I learn easily
I am able to say “No”
Others see me as adaptable and approachable
Others see me as energized and successful

Moderate Stress Levels:

I feel driven, hyperactive, and restless
I tend to make snap decisions but with errors
I feel over-burdened but can still say “No”
I often feel tired but am taking steps to recover
I often try to squeeze a few extra drops out of my performance
Discipline, fitness, social pressure and stimulants play a greater role in my ability to perform
My sleep is just about adequate
Others see me as tired yet successful

High Stress Levels:

I often lose perspective
I feel irritable and on edge
I complain and grumble regularly
I work longer hours but get less done
My home/work balance is suffering
I have repeated minor ailments, aches and pains
I don’t think as clearly as I used to
I have sleep problems
I feel like I’m operating in survival mode

If you’re more on the high end of these stress levels, you may want to remember that it’s not life events that cause the stress, it’s how you react to them. Take a few moments every day to focus on the area around your heart, take a deep breath and recall a positive time or feeling in your life. Shifting to a positive feeling is a quick stress buster and a good way to deal with the petty annoyances that crop up.

No comments:

Apture

Follow my blog